Carbohydrates provide energy for the brain, body functions and physical activity. It also plays an important role in the functioning of the immune system, promoting good health, delivering vitamins, minerals and fibres, preventing blood clots and many other health benefits.
Excessive consumption, especially of unhealthy carbohydrates, can lead to obesity, diabetes and certain types of cancer.
Healthy and nutrient-rich sources
- Starches – breads, pasta, rice, cereals, oats and beans
- Fruits, vegetables and 100% juices
- Milk and milk products
- Try to choose whole grains, as they are high in fibre, vitamins and minerals, and limit the consumption of refined grains
- Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables with the skin, if edible, and choose only 100% fruit juice
- Sports drinks, sweets, sugar, candies, cakes, potato chips, ice cream, puddings, jam, etc.
- Try to avoid the intake of such products since they are high in simple sugars. Their absorption is very quick; you will have increased energy levels, followed by a crash in energy
- Increased consumption of such products can lead to severe chronic diseases